Friday, August 15, 2008

I don't usually care about AIDS, but...

So yesterday and today I've been helping my mom (a second grade teacher) makes her sound like she's my exhibit one or something move all of her stuff back into her classroom.  two u haul trips and a van load.  Per my federally regulated 1 hr break per 6 hrs of backbreaking labor, I have headed home for a bowl of soup and full house.  

On the ride home two things stuck out to me on the radio:

1)  a service announcement about the fight against AIDS.  the commentator says, "Let's not let this virus invade another continent," or something with the same idea.  what?  have we already crossed the entire continent of africa off the list?  if this disease is moving continent by continent, should we hope that it's antarctica so we can spare as many human lives as possible?  or should we pray* that it's asia so we can stop worrying about china, north korea, and the middle east?

but we both know that if it were any other continent so effected by AIDS insert obnoxious AIDS and HIV statistics for sub-saharan africa here  it would be another story.  how much more terrifying if it broke the hermetic seal that protects the first world and associated latitudes from such filth!  how personally relevant does awareness and prevention become when AIDS victims are no longer only starving, black Africans!  we both know that people would be running, swimming, and cycling with the same drive as for cancer if the disease wasn't associated with fags, druggies, and darkies.

shit, I can't remember the second thing i heard.  but it's time for me to return to lexington elementary.  i'll try to think of it for later.








*I don't necessarily endorse praying.

No comments: